In this all English episode #049:
Manuel Marquina is the marketing manager for Evernote in Europe. We talk about what Evernote is, why its hard to be productive in the modern workplace, the 3 overloads knowledge workers face, challenges for new Evernote users. We talk about Evernote for business. Manuel shares specific tactics and strategies; one being the Chill Out strategy! 🙂 And we are also talking about the future of productivity and much more. Enjoy!
Manuel is Account manager and business manager in Zurich in switzerland
3.00 Evernote is a workspace, share ideas. that is always accessible. Manuel like the notion of thinking of it as an atomic unit. that can contain everything or nothing.
4.00 Evernote has been around for 9 years. Their previous tagline was: “Remember everything”. Workspace of writing down ideas.
5.00 Why is it hard for us to work in the modern workplace? When we work we have one challenge – one overload: Data overload – Buckminster Fuller – 1982 – a theoretical graph – until all knowledge doubles. Previous it was every 100 years. Today it is 1year for us to double – IBM study – 2025 – at the end of
memory can hold 4 things at the same time.
9.00 Ebbinghaus forgetting curve – 60% information is lost within the first hour after input. Memory techniques, like repetition. Writing down notes in your own notes.
1000 We mention memory champion Idriz Zogaj – Listen #46
11.00 Why not only pen and paper? You don’t have to choose! But the downside of it is physical; you can lose it. You cannot connect it.
- 13.00 3 Reasons that Manuel uses Evernote:
- 1. Data Overload (we spend 2 hours searching for information every day)
- 2. Communication Overload (80% of every day is spent in communication)
- 3. Cognitive Overload – you are interrupted every 5 minutes, either yourself (by checking social media) or by other persons. it takes about 20 min to come back to where you were.
- 14.00 Manuel use an overview note for a project or a task and link it.
- 15.00 Manuel reads a lot. And uses Evernote to save it for later. A notebook called: Reading
- 18.00 The 3 Overloads
- 19.00 What is the biggest issue with using Evernote? OverOrganize!! Crazy structures. No structure. If you have a lot of content, you need some kind of structure.
- 20.30 Manuel uses Notebooks. Productivity is individual! Tags confuse Manuel. 🙂 He creates notebooks for areas of his life; family, productivity. Design. Project notebooks: with a clear end date. Use one notebook called: inbox.
- 23.00 Chill Out strategy! – Projects, Areas, and Resources
- Projects: end date and clear
- Areas: Important things for you but don’t have an end date = area
- Resources: Everything you need, an invoice
- 25.00 Naming conventions. It is important to think about a structure for naming.
- 26.45 What is Evernote for Business? Work is collecting materials, Working, sharing
- 30.00 Files Attachments
- 31.00 The next steps for Evernote for Business? Free Monthly trial here:
- 32.00 Manuel helps companies on-board to Evernote for business.
- 33.00 Manuels View of the Future – Productivity is personal
- 34.00 Technology can help you faster – Future is perhaps:
- Voice (Alexa)
- Virtual Reality
- Augmented Reality
- Machine Learning
- 35.00 Technology could help you find information faster. But it is still up to you! It is personal.
- 36.15 Manuels SideHustle – “Hustle a lot on the side”.
- 37.00 2013/2014 Manuel started writing a weekly newsletter for productivity: Weekly Roundup
- 38.00 Pins. Metal pins! 🙂 Link to our Pin Shop : www.pinfriends.co
- 41.00 KWINK – Knowing What I Now Know..
- Manuel answers:
- Creating something of meaning takes time. Be patient. You need focus to create something great.
Persons of Interest
Want to level up your life??? Join /apply for these Circles of Influence:
Thank you for reading and listening! You are awesome! 🙂
Peter is Podcaster, CrossFit Coach, Security Professional and productivity expert. He is the founder of FLAWD.se and the author of Security Encyclopedia: SakerhetsBibeln.se. Peter blogs about health, technology and productivity. Peter is on a mission to help you to Focus, implement success disciplines and to Win in life!